Monday, March 24, 2008

Doctor, Doctor Give Me the News

One of the things people procrastinate most is going to the doctor.

It's a hassle, it takes up our precious time, and it can be downright scary. Yet, it's a necessity that shouldn't be put off.

I hate to say, but as a woman, I put off one of the most vital (or most dreaded, whichever you prefer) tests: The Papsmear. I hadn't had one since before my daughter was born.

She's now 7. Uh, I think it's time to get a checkup.

And that's just what my doctor kept telling me everytime I went in for other aches and pains. "You know, it doesn't take long, and it's so important. Make an appointment as you leave."

Yet there I'd go sneaking out the door without an appointment.

When my girlfriend finally went in for her long-delayed pap and gave me all the gory details, I knew why I had procrastinated so long. It's humiliating. It's a pain. It makes us girls nervous, scoring way too high on the blood pressure test. (Same goes for the guys! Cough, cough...prostate.)

So this is why I procrastinate. I know I'm healthy. I've been with the same man for 14 years for heaven's sake. There is nothing wrong with my insides. I have no need to spread my legs in stirrups and count the dots on the ceiling while my doctor pokes and prods my insides with cold, metal instruments.

Luckily for me, my girlfriend's elated relief over getting it over with, and hearing the good news that everything was negative, prompted me to finally take the plunge and call in an appointment.

Yes, it was nerveracking. I was uncomfortable. I hated every second of it. But it's done.

It's done! I can check it off my to-do list. One more thing I conquered. And guess what?

Test results are normal, just as I thought they would be. But now I truly know. There is nothing more empowering than taking charge of your health. There is nothing more gratifying than putting an end to procrastination.

Today, put an end to procrastinating the doctor. Take charge of your health. Make an appointment today.

If you happen to notice, those dots are on the ceiling for a reason! :D

No comments: